DESIGN PRINCIPLE EXERCISE 3








Luisa Audrey / 0348741 / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Design Principle


LECTURE

Week 3:

HARMONY & UNITY

HARMONY
  • Harmony involves the selection of elements that share a common trait
  • Harmony becomes monotony without variety
  • Harmony is the sense that all of the elements of your design fit together. They may fit the same here, aesthetic style or mood.



UNITY
  • Unity refers to the repetition of particular elements throughout your design, whether they are colors, shapes, or materials, to pull the look together
  • Unity occurs when these elements are composed in such a way that they are balanced and give a sense oneness, creating a theme
  • Although unity and harmony may sound similar, they each play distinct roles in the way we experience design



SCALE & PROPORTION


Scale and proportion are both design elements that have to do with size.
Scale is the size of one object in relation to the other objects in a design or artwork.
Proportion refers to the size of the parts of an object in relationship to other parts of the same object.
Throughout the centuries, designs have used scale and proportion to depict or distract the ideal

SCALE
  • Scale refers to the size and dimension of figures and forms relative to a specific unit measure
  • Scale can be determined in two ways: Actual measurement, Visual estimates based on comparison
Actual measurement

Visual estimates based on comparison
  • Architectural drawings and scale models are examples of the applied use of scale
  • Also, scale is used to specify or illustrate details based on the relative sizes of objects
  • Substantial deviation from a normal scale relationship can create dramatic results and visual interest within design or composition





PROPORTION
  • Proportion in art and design is the relationship of two or more elements in a composition and how they compare to one another with respect to size, color, quantity, degree, setting, etc
  • Proportion is said to be harmonious when a correct relationship exists between the elements with respect to size or quantity
  • The effective use of proportion in design often results in harmony and unity





SYMBOL, WORD & IMAGE




SYMBOL
  • A sign, shape, or object that is used to represent something else
  • In design, symbols can provide or convey information, equivalent to one or more sentences of text, or even a whole story
1. Pictoral Symbols



2. Abstract Symbols (Fewer details)



3. Arbitrary Symbols

  • Arbitrary symbols have no resemblance at all to the objects or the ideas they represent
  • The symbol is invented with the meaning constructed. Many are based on geometric shapes and colors
  • We have to learn arbitrary symbols
WORD AND IMAGE
  • Imagery is a vital part of the design, be it print or digital. Users and viewers are able to relate to a concept or a brand if the right images are used in a work of design. It is therefore important to use suitable and relevant images when designing.
  • Choosing the right words to pair with the imagery is of high importance as it would deepen the meaning of the design. Suitable typeface and strategic positioning of the type will result in visual hierarchy and balance in a work of design.
  • Typography is the design and arrangement of text to convey a message or concept





INSTRUCTION
  

Visual Research:

We were given a task to produce 2 arts choosing from:
Harmony/ Unity/ Symbol/ Words and Image

Firstly, I decided that I wanted to make Harmony. I did a little research on the internet regarding the real meaning of Harmony. I also looked for ideas on Pinterest.

After some time looking for ideas on Pinterest, I found an idea of what I wanted to create. Here are some references that I found:




I wanted to make a design of harmony where there is a crowd of fish swimming in the sky. I used limited species of fishes so it will create similar elements as well as a limited color palette to emphasize the harmony.

I used the first picture as a reference a lot. I decided to use certain species of fish from that creation and apply it differently in my art. I was also inspired to use a pastel color palette from the first and third pictures. I also decided to add a whale with a moon in the middle as the focal point. I made it look rather striking but not striking enough to be called a contrast. After some planning, here is the sketch that I managed to make:


In this sketch, I tried to locate the jellyfishes in the bottom left and the stingrays at the bottom right. Afterward, I just decided that I will scatter the location of the dolphins and the purple fishes to make them look rather natural and harmonious. I also planned on adding bubbles for aesthetic purposes. Here is the final result of my art:

MY HARMONY FINAL RESULT

After I'm done with my Harmony design, I decided to create Unity for the next submission. This time I planned on making it look more simple and cute rather than complicated. Here are the few references I found on Pinterest:



When I hear Unity, I think of a group of certain things. I scrolled through Pinterest and found a few arts on claw machine toys and thought that it might work for unity. So I decided on making my own claw machine design.

MY UNITY FINAL RESULT


FEEDBACK

Week 5:
General feedback: I realized that unity doesn't have to be a group of something, it can also be some repetition of certain elements.
Specific feedback: At this point, I was not quite sure on what to create for my unity yet, after hearing that unity is not that simple, I decided to do a little more research and planned on exploring more into the Unity concept.

Week 6:
General feedback: I learned how to check my score in the link given. It is also suggested that we open a Proust questionnaire to get to know ourselves better so we can create a better self-portrait.
Specific feedback: For my harmony, the placement of the elements is harmonious enough and there is movement as well as continuity. For my Unity, it works because the group of pets inside and the group of flowers outside shows unity.

REFLECTION

Experience: Whenever receiving comments from Mr. Charles, I never felt discouraged because of how careful he is at giving feedback. Creating harmony is so far my favorite project in design principle as I think it allows me to explore further yet still challenge myself to create a harmonious and pleasing art to look at.
Observation: Through my research in both Unity and Harmony, I realized that both concepts aren't that simple. Harmony can be achieved from the repetition of colors, shapes, and textures. As for Unity, it can be achieved from Proximity, Simplicity, Repetition, and Continuation
Findings: I found that it is challenging to create both Unity and Harmony because it needs lots of research and understanding so it doesn't come out as monotonous or too contrasting.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts