DESIGN RESEARCH DISSERTATION/ PROJECT 2 - DESIGN IMPLEMENTATION

 Luisa Audrey / 0348741 / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media (UI/UX)
Design Research Dissertation
Project 2/ Final Dissertation with Visual Design




LECTURE

Read the copy
UNDERSTAND THE TOPIC YOU ARE ABOUT TO DESIGN

Examine images
MAKE SOME DESIGN SKETCHES ON PAPER, IT CAN SAVE YOU SOME TIME.



OUTLINE

By now, you already has some sort of structure.
Now take that structure and thumbnail out your page layout.

MARGINS & BLEEDS

Now that you understand the dimensions of your design publication and where your images, spreads, and bleeding images are, you can prepare your document template.

TYPOGRAPHY

BODY COPY
  • Leading
  • Widows & Orphans
  • Rags
IMAGES

NAVIGATION
Make sure your dissertation publication is navigable. Tips 1-6 will absolutely help this, but here are a few more to make sure your reader isn’t getting lost.

OVERALL COMPOSITION

Composition is extremely tricky. Consistency built by using all tips up to this point will help solve the problem for you, but some creative solutions will still be necessary.


INSTRUCTION


We were tasked to design a book based on the topic that we have written.

I started looking for references in week 7. 

In the 8th week, I was still looking for reference because I was so confused on what kind of aesthetic that will match my topic. My theme covers 3 important topics and I didn’t know how to combine all of them into one solid design idea.

I started creating the cover but failed many times. I have redid my cover around 3 times and none of them felt right to me. I spent some more time on pinterest looking for book cover references and in the end I came up with an idea. I decided to put an elderly in the middle with a bunch of people around her. All of them are holding mobile phones but the elderly’s is the only ones shining. I tried to proceed with the idea but once again I failed to create the illustration.

I started to change my concept and think in a simpler way because I didn’t have much time. I tried to look for album covers for reference and it ended up giving me more ideas than before. I started drawing and looking for elderly references and finally finished the cover that I like.

In the end , I realized that I couldn't finish it on time. I tried to do it quick and managed to submit it in week 14. Here is the result:


Here is the link for the e-book: https://online.fliphtml5.com/rvfax/dglu/

FEEDBACK

Dr. Hayati reminded the student to pay attention on the design and make sure that it correlates with the topic that we chose.

REFLECTION

To be honest, designing the book was way more fun that writing. However, it surprisingly took really long for me to even figure out the cover page. I was so confused at first on what to create because my topic doesn't really have a specific theme. I kept on redoing my cover until more than 3 times. What I learnt from this is to start thinking in a simpler way. Sometimes we don't realize that the answer is right in front of us. At the end, I felt quite proud with the end result.

Comments

Popular Posts